Below is a small conversation with preschool teacher Anna who has worked in preschool for over thirty -five years. How has listened over the years according to her and what can we as parents learn from someone with experience in preschool both "pre Internet" and today. Is there any difference?
- Hi Anna! We are currently talking a lot about listening to the children. You have long experience of working with children. Has listening changed over time? Do we listen to our children?
- I think most parents do as best they can, but with a society that requires more of us on all levels, there is no time to the same extent. And we may not always be able to do that much, so we simply have to navigate what we live in, I think. At the same time, I see the children's perspective very much clearer today. It listens more to children everywhere, they have a voice. So we live both in a world where time is barely found but also in a world where children are seen as people with rights. Can we get together that is the question ..
- How do you think about listening in preschool?
- The ideal would be to be able to listen to all children, just when they need it. What I notice is that children today are more used to it going fast than they were in the 80-90s, when I was new to work. Faster response is required. Recovery is more difficult. That is why I work more with it today, so that they come to an environment in the days where the acquisition and presence ("I see you") may take a seat. My goal is for all children to go home in the afternoon and have felt listened to, it is probably more important than ever.
- What is it to listen, in your opinion?
- First and foremost, I think about listening is knowledge that all children are different. Everyone does not want to be listened to the same way and we have to take that into consideration. Listening also happens very much outside the words, as I said before - I see you. So the ability to hear what is not said loudly.
- Why is it important to listen?
- I spontaneously think that it is one of the most basic that exists in a person's development. If you are not seen and listened to, something that builds our security and faith in ourselves is not there.